Monday, June 08, 2009

Red Sox Scholars Class of 2009





It was time yesterday to announce our new class of Red Sox Scholars. This a group of 25 academically talented fifth-graders from the neighborhoods of Boston who are promised a $10,000 college scholarship if they finish high school and enter college. It is the cornerstone program of our partnership with the Boston Red Sox, and we are designated as the Presenting Sponsor. Additional support comes from the Highland Street Foundation, Microsoft, the Peter and Carolyn Lynch Foundation, and Target.

At the pre-game ceremony, the children were accompanied by "Medical Champions" from BIDMC and are greeted by a member of the Red Sox team and presented to the park audience. I include pictures of some of the students with their Medical Champions.

During the pre-game ceremony, too, the Red Sox unveiled a new graphic on the left-field side of the Green Monster. The sign highlights the long-standing support provided to the Red Sox Scholars program by BIDMC. See the video below.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul, :)
I was there yesterday at the game. I was sitting up in the Grandstands section 1 near our sign. I must of missed you throwing out the first pitch. Sorry about that. Too bad we lost and Ellsbury got hurt. Better luck Tuesday when we have to win against our favorite Yankees.

Thanks Donna

Anonymous said...

Paul, I was one of the Medical Champions for this year's group of scholars. What a great experience along with a beautiful day!!! I am so glad I volunteered. I look forward to follwing my scholar's successes in the future. It was a day for us all to be proud to be a part of BIDMC & Red Sox Nation. Thanks to all who make this program possible, Joe

Anonymous said...

Being a medical champion this year was quite an experience! The atmosphere there was so positive and energetic...I loved it. I had a great time getting to know my scholar. Can you imagine that this was the first time he went to a baseball game, then, on top of it, he got picked to throw out the first pitch?! I was so happy I was there for it! As many others can attest to, I am very proud to be a member of BIDMC Nation. Tye