Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Helping Lauren help others

From time to time, I like to use this blog to help individuals who are helping others around the world.  I often find that it is the busiest and hardest working people who manage to give of themselves in this way.  Here's one such case.  Lauren Picarde, a registered nurse at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, sent me this note. I hope this moves you to help out.

One of the reasons I decided to become a nurse was to care for less fortunate people around the world without access to exceptional healthcare. After almost five years of experience on an acute surgical trauma unit, I have decided it is time to share my knowledge and provide care and education to underprivileged populations.

On January 20th 2012, I will travel to Namibia, Africa to volunteer for two weeks at the Bushman Medical Lifeline Clinic. There I will work alongside a physician and head nurse to care for patients across the lifespan. The Bushman people are a deprived indigenous people inhabiting the desert areas of Namibia as well as Botswana and Angola. The people have often been neglected, if not discriminated against, when it comes to medical care. The project was set up in 2003 with the aid of overseas investment and is now run as a charitable extension of the Clinic in Windhoek. The clinic has literally become a lifeline for the local people and an established part of the community. Volunteers provide hands on support at the clinic, participating in observations, running reception and helping in the pharmacy. Dealing closely with patients from the local San community, volunteers learn more about their way of life and give care to patients living in extreme poverty.

The total cost of the trip is close to $3,200. I have already covered the cost of my flights; however the cost of volunteering goes directly back into the projects themselves for items such as building materials, medical equipment, and medical supplies. If you can support this project in any financial way, your donation will be much appreciated. 

Please contact Lauren at Laurn718 [at] gmail [dot] com if you are interested in helping out. Thank you.

No comments: