Saturday, January 19, 2013

What else are they buying?

I went to the Amazon page for my book Goal Play! recently to see what books people who bought my book also bought.  Some might be expected. Others were a surprise.

I certainly could see the connection with Edgar Schein's Helping.  In fact, Ed wrote the foreword to my book.

Likewise, Swen Nater's You Haven't Taught Until They Have Learned, based on the coaching philosophy and techniques of John Wooden.  These are remarkably similar to my own, although no coach has been or will be as good as Wooden!

There are several books on health care, like the ones by Marty Makary, Maureen Bisognano, and Leonard Berry.  Lots of shared lessons there.

But the one that tops the list is Daniel Kahneman's Thinking Fast and Slow.  As one reviewer says, "Kahneman’s book is a must read for anyone interested in either human behavior or investing. He clearly shows that while we like to think of ourselves as rational in our decision making, the truth is we are subject to many biases."  The parallels to the world of hospitals are obvious.

All in all, I am pleased to be in such good company.  By the way, stay tuned.  The audio book version of Goal Play! will be issued soon, joining the paper and Kindle versions




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am also a great fan of Kahneman's book. Surprised Groopman's book not also there as he captures some of the same ground in the medical setting.

Ted said...

Over the years and have read many coaching books as well as coached/reffed youth teams. A great book on Wooden is "Be Quick...Don't Hurry" by Andrew Hill. Hill is a former player who wrote the book with Wooden. Breaks down Wooden's philosophy into #21 teaching points. I have applied this in all my medical work from running ER groups to clinics. Everyday I find this book useful. Though Nater's book is good Hill's is far better and is the definitive work on Wooden's teaching style.

Mitch said...


You will like this book, which among many others also cites Kahnemann:

http://www.amazon.com/Seeking-Wisdom-Darwin-Munger-3rd/dp/1578644283/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1358686028&sr=1-1&keywords=seeking+wisdom