Friday, August 02, 2013

May you never see the difference

A lovely Facebook post from Jack Sullivan, Senior Investigative Reporter at Commonwealth Magazine:
We were at the Y pool the other day and Gwyni was pointing out the goggles on one of the kids in the pool.
 
"Which one?" I said.
 
"The kid with the brown hair," she said.
 
"Where?" I asked.
 
"Right there, the boy with the brown hair and blue bathing suit," she said exasperated.
 
The fact that the kid she was pointing out was the only black kid in a pool of about 10 other kids never occurred to her. I love my color-blind grandchildren.
 
Happy 9th Birthday, Gwyni. May you never see the difference.

2 comments:

e-Patient Dave said...

THAT is heartwarming.

After all the years of racial strife you and I have seen, and the centuries of it before then, it's heartwarming to see a real live example of the future that people like Martin Luther King described.

Heather said...

Reminds me of my own two boys, ages 6 and 8, while playing the Game of Life. Whenever a player lands on the marriage space on the board, they hold up a pink and a blue peg...”Would you like to marry a boy person or a girl person?” everyone is asked, although they, themselves are being raised in a traditional nuclear family with both a mother and a father in the home. Love it!