Thursday, November 02, 2006

I thought I had seen it all

We have a very good email system that intercepts a lot of the spam being sent out, but sometimes things slip through. As you can imagine, companies are trying to sell us all kinds of this. This morning, one arrived that I never could have imagined.

Here's the text:

Congratulations Paul on being recognized by The Chronicle of Philanthropy as one of The Philanthropy 400!

We prepared an online preview of your handcrafted special edition plaque for your review. Click here to personalize, customize and preview your plaque. Only 3 business days left to SAVE $30 on your order (order by Nov 6th, 2006).

If clicking on the link doesn't work, please copy and paste the entire address into your web browser or follow these simple instructions:
Click to the following website: www.amreg.comEnter Preview Code: 3262340


Now, with just a few clicks of your mouse you can prepare your plaque exactly the way you want it:
* PERSONALIZE the wording, font size or style.
* CUSTOMIZE your favorite wood finish and choose gold or silver for the wood trim.
* PREVIEW the plaque exactly as it will be delivered.


Please do not hesitate to call or email me with any questions. I would be happy to walk you through the simple steps of customizing your plaque.
Alice Sydney

1-866-964-0866 x8330
asydney@amreg.com

Here would be my response to Alice Sydney:

Dear Ms. Sydney,
America is a great country, full of entrepreneurial ideas. I guess your company figures there are people out there who would actually buy a plaque to commemorate the fact that their hospital raised a lot of money. Personally, I am extremely grateful to generous people in our community for their contributions to our clinical programs, our teaching, and our research. We could not survive and thrive without their help. But I am hard-pressed to figure out why anyone would buy this and where one would hang such a plaque. I guess some CEOs find comfort or excitement in this kind of self-congratulatory pat-on-the-back that could be placed in their offices; but if I had the spare cash to buy your plaque, I would instead donate it to the hospital.
Sincerely,
Paul Levy

And, by the way, did you notice that the sales pitch has the wrong name of our hospital . . .

:)

No comments: