Sunday, March 04, 2007

Our favorite author

It is time to reintroduce another author, one of a completely different genre from the gentleman below. Monique Spencer was treated for breast cancer at our hospital and has written this funny, perceptive, and helpful book for people who are going through the same thing -- or who are experiencing other types of cancer.

We published the book because commercial publishers thought it was inappropriate to have a funny book about cancer. I agree that not everyone wants to laugh -- but there are many who find humor to be a helpful part of the treatment process.

An excerpt:

This morning I saw yet another article about an amazing cancer superstar. . . . [S]he runs a business, chairs a few hundred charities, takes care of a few sick friends, and the interview takes place in her "immaculate home."

Oh. My. God.

I have deep respect for people with immaculate homes, I really do. Every two weeks, after the cleaners come, my house is immaculate, too. Then school lets out. Here come the kids with their friends. . . .

I've seen quite a bit of advice about managing daily life while you have cancer. This is my favorite: "ask your older children to assume chores while you are recovering from treatment." Trot this one out in the chemo area and watch the older parents roar. . . .

All parents know that the only way to get kids to do chores is to make the younger ones do it. Don't waste your time on those hateful teenagers . . . . Read up on your Dickens if you don't believe that small children can do chores.

You can buy the book from Amazon, but if you buy it from the hospital instead, the proceeds go to support Windows of Hope, our non-profit oncology shop that sells wigs, scarves, and other supplies for cancer patients. Just send a check for $20 to Windows of Hope, 330 Brookline Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, and we will mail you a copy. Or call 617-667-1899.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My personal research uncovered the same rare and unique antidote for chemotherapy. Monique, thanks for making us laugh.

Anonymous said...

This is an amazing book. I loved her explanation of how she didn't have to worry about doctors because she knew she was going to the best hospital. How did she know. She saw it on the Simpsons, that's how.

AmyT said...

Hi Paul,
I wouldn't presume to vie for your spot as "favorite author" here, but I did want to point you to my popular diabetes blog, www.diabetesmine.com.

A colleague told me there was a hospital CEO blog based on candor, urgency, timeliness, pithiness and (sometimes)controversy -- but I didn't believe him. Way to go!

I also have a new book out on diabetes care, btw, co-authored with a physician from Joslin Center in Boston. Also a very candid guy.

Pls shoot me a note at amy@diabetesmine.com.

eeka said...

That's fabulous. One of my favorite clinical supervisors always said, especially about palliative care and serious illness, that it's never our place to decide what emotions one should and shouldn't use to deal with things.

I have to say I'm in full agreement, coming from a really morbid and twisted family myself.

If you like authors who use twisted humor to deal with life's issues, some of my faves are Jennifer Finney Boylan, Anne Lamott, and Heather Armstrong.