Thursday, July 02, 2009

New exercise regime

As I take a Fourth of July blogging break, I am pleased to note that Gretchen Reynolds in the New York Times reports on research showing that short, hard bursts of exercise may do as much for you as regular lengthy routines: "Can you get fit in six minutes per week?" Good news. I am canceling the morning bike rides and the soccer games. This will leave lots more time this summer for eating and naps. I'm sure to end up healthier.

See you on the beach, but only under the umbrella: No more swimming. I don't want to undo all the good effects of those very special six minutes. And the latest research shows the beneficial effects of sleeping. Probably more so when a light, warm breeze is blowing.

Gin and tonics are part of the new plan, too. My research shows that limes are an essential food group in the summer.

3 comments:

Derrick said...

Paul,

I see you're not a believer of some of the ever changing research articles telling us what's healthy, as noted by your subtle sarcasm. ;)

I'm not sure about the six minutes a week either, but as the article does point out, there have been good results using sprint training both for fat burning and cardiovascular purposes. As someone training for my first marathon this year, I'm doubtful that the sprint training will allow my body to become accustomed to running 26.2 miles though... I guess it all has to do with what you're trying to accomplish, whether it be running long distance, weight loss, or muscle gains.

Enjoy the holiday weekend, and thanks for the humorous post.

rajesh moganti said...

hi doctor!

hope u remember me :) - medical student from India, have u added my diabetes site - www.checkdiabetes.org in Ur blogroll , and i hope you need some information about it and i will provide you !

site description-This site provides diabetes tips,suggestions,diabetes management and helping diabetics to live better longer.

SITE OWNER AWARDS- he is a top health blogger in wellsphere.com link here-http://stanford.wellsphere.com/moganti-s-profile/103565 , bestblogofthedayaward- link here- http://blogofthedayawards.blogspot.com/2009/06/check-diabetes.html

regards
rajesh moganti

Anonymous said...

Paul--keep the good posts coming.

Derrick--good luck. What marathon is it?


Bill