Sunday, July 26, 2009

Son of spam

For the last few weeks, I have been taking the time to unsubscribe myself from the dozens of computer generated messages that clog up my email. These are sent by organizations and companies that could be relevant -- as opposed to the truly junky or obscene kind of spam that our IS department automatically filters out. But most are not of interest, and so I am doing an experiment to see if I can reduce their number.

Here's one I tried to kill. My alumni email account at MIT has a feature that sends an automatic update every day (see above) with a list of incoming emails that have been put in a spam quarantine holding folder on MIT's server. I have no need to get this daily email update, so I clicked on FAQs and found the following:

Q. Is there a way to turn off receipt of the Spam Quarantine Summary email?
A. Unfortunately there is no way to set this at the individual level at this time. A workaround is to set up a filter in your email program that will place the summary emails in your trash or other folder.

Unfortunately, indeed.

3 comments:

KERaven said...

I immediately recognized the screen capture even though I haven't yet taken the time to figure out how to make it go away. My husband (also '00) tells me to just make a filter in your email client to identify it as spam and delete it.

MIT '00
BIDMC Gen Surgery PGY-5

Anonymous said...

You see the irony of that, no doubt!

me said...

I think the alum spam quarantine emails are kind of funny, myself. Somewhat amusing to see the kinds of things people are sending along. Of course, then I have to go and delete the quarantine summary from all of my forwarding accounts!!