Monday, September 03, 2012

Failed at Facebook

I friended a friend, one of the world's experts in artificial intelligence and computer science, on Facebook.  His reply:

I received a "Friend" request originating from you on Facebook.  I actually don't ever use or consult Facebook, so it's a bad way to try to communicate with me.  Email works best.  I'm happy to be your friend in real life, but not on Facebook.

I responded:

Fair enough!  (I was surprised to see you there....)

See you around.


He replied:

I was at an NRC/CSTB (National Research Council/Computer Science and Telecommunications Board) meeting about 3 years ago, and one of the speakers told us that you can't call yourself a computer scientist without using Facebook.  So, being a lemming, I opened an account.  Didn't know what to do with it, tried to "friend" my daughter, who refused (!), and haven't done much with the account since then.

1 comment:

Bart Windrum said...

I'm sure some days my 22yo daughter wishes she'd refused my friending! "LOL".