Thursday, November 15, 2007

A letter of appreciation

This is one of those really heartwarming letters I receive. I know some of you might think it is just self-congratulatory pap when I post these kind of notes, but please recognize that part of my audience on this blog is our own staff, as well as our board members and other local supporters of our hospital, and I think it is it important for those beyond the particular people mentioned to see this kind of appreciation. As noted by the writer, when I asked him if I could publish it here: "Absolutely . . . on both accounts! As a teacher and healthcare provider, I know how exciting and rewarding it is when I get notes from patients and students!"

Mr. Levy,
You don't know me, but my wife recently spent 5 days in BIDMC to have a total mastectomy and breast reconstruction, and I wanted to take a moment to thank you for her excellent and passionate care, and to recognize the outstanding operations and culture evident in BIDMC.

All of our experiences at BIDMC, from our consults and surgery with Drs. Adam Tobias and Susan Troyan (and their staffs), to the nursing care provided in pre and post op recovery, to the nursing care provided to my wife during her recovery time (most notably from a young nurse from Tennessee named Rita W. -- we can't recall her last name, but she was on the 6th floor) were courteous, competent and caring . . . all of which made my wife's experience much more relaxing & assuring. With particular reference to Drs. Tobias and Troyan, our appointments were all on time, and we never felt rushed or "numbered" during the actual office visits . . . at all times, I felt like my wife was the only patient they had scheduled for those particular times, and the patient interactions were soothing and congenial. Obviously, we are also very pleased with the quality and expertise of the actual healthcare delivered too, as my wife is recovering well and her prognosis is excellent!

Incidentally, I just finished reading Jerome Groopman's book, How Doctors Think, in order to use it for one of my classes, and it was exciting and refreshing to see the measure that you have taken (and he mentions in depth) to reduce nosocomial infections in your hospital -- great to see literature in action!

Thanks again & best wishes for continued success.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was also treated by Sue Troyan. I'd love to see a study done on recovery processes among different surgeon's patients. I think hers is shorter than most! I don't know why -- is she gentler while rummaging around in the body?