Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Now we are six!

A lovely note, reminding me an early post back in October. A sweet message to the nurses and an inspiring one for parents in a similar situation.

My name is ** and my son was born on August 4, 2000 at 29-½ weeks.

He is now a 6 year old kindergartener who is doing fabulously!

The care that I received in the Antepartum unit and the care he received in the NICU was phenomenal! When I tell anyone the story of his premature birth, I can never say enough good things about BIDMC. The nursing staff especially on both units made a very, very scary and horrifying experience easier for myself, my husband and my family. I know that the week of May 6th is National Nurses Week, and I am hoping you can pass this email along to the Nursing Administration to let them know that even as 6 years have passed since my son's birth, I will never forget the care we received from the nurses. It was truly outstanding.

Also, I wanted to send along the good news, that with such a difficult, scary and uncertain beginning to his life, my son is doing remarkably! He is a smart, articulate, and funny little boy, doing all the things that little boys do. I am hoping that his success story can be an inspiration to others facing premature births. I know that for me, when we were going through everything, the one thing that I clung to was hearing a success story, they always gave me hope in a scary time.

Please feel free to share this with others at the hospital.

Thanks so much!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aw. Made me think of my niece--33 yrs ago, she was born at 2.3 lbs--and now has a strapping 5-yr-old of her own. Think of the techniques that have improved since then! This wasn't your hosp, but this note made me think of this.