Wednesday, December 05, 2007

PFL at the NAE

Well, in case you are not sick of reading my stuff about process improvement in hospitals, you can get a real aural overdose in this speech I gave at a recent symposium at the National Academy of Engineering. It was the first chance I had to publicly consolidate my thoughts on the matter.

Sorry about some nerdy jokes at the beginning, but, hey, it was a talk to a group of engineers! (For ease of reference, the blog post on preventing ventilator associated pneumonia to which I refer in the speech is here. The BIDMC transparency website to which I refer is here.)

Running time is just over twenty minutes. Excellent listening as you catch up on emails . . .

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice speech Paul -you get a free cookie in the cafe.

Unknown said...

Paul,
I read your blog at least once a week to catch up. I am a Graduate MHA student at UNC Chapel Hill and would be very interested in your story. A quick Bio about your early experience as an administrator. As you know it is a very tough job and industry. You are a source of inspiration and seem truely optomistic about the future. I have a passion for health care operations, delivery, quality, finance, but as of now it is simply a youthful passion. I would love to know how you have "made it", and what you would suggest to any young people who hope to truly make a difference in the world of health care as an administrator.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Simon. This is my first and only job in the hospital world. Previously, I ran the local water and sewer agency, and before that the agency that regulates electricity, gas, and telephone companies, and before that several other things. So, it is a mystery to me how I ended up here! Does that make me an unqualified success?!

Send another message with your email. I will not post it, but I will get in touch.

Anonymous said...

Paul,

I enjoyed your speech, and I also have been enjoying your blog almost daily since I discovered it about a month ago.

Your point in the speech about how the idea for process improvement came from the doctors, and how the staff at BIDMC embraced those initiatives really it it home for me. I admire how you are leading your organization, and I think your infinite curiousity and deep compassion for others are really rubbing off onto the staff at BIDMC.

Anonymous said...

Paul,

Is it true that for a top manager it doesn’t really matter which sector his/her company/organization is in? Is the success of manager regardless of the field? Your example proves this. But what is your opinion? Do you have a favorite field?

Anonymous said...

I'll let others comment on your questions, Istvan.

My favorite field is green, with a goal at either end . . .