Saturday, February 16, 2008

Central MA nostalgia: Dubbleyokas

A note from a very good friend in Worcester. You will either identify with it or not. Sorry if you don't.

Do you remember when we were kids occasionally getting a dubbleyoka? Not really having enough to do I have been in search for them for quite a while. I have even been buying farm fresh eggs from Suney's Pub on Chandler Street. They have great fish and chips on Fridays. Well, I had heard a rumor that Fairway beef (this is the Siegel family that used to run Boston Beef) had them -- so yesterday instead of buying eggs at Suney's, though I did have the f&c for lunch, I scooted over to Fairway and bought a 20 egg flat of Super Jumbos (that's right, Super Jumbos!) from Johnson's Egg Farm in Westminster -- ($3.49) -- I also bought some for one of my carpenters -- he is paying me back in coffee all next week -- good deal, huh? Well, these suckas are hug -- big as your fist -- I can't even imagine what they felt like coming out of the chicken. Oh my god! Anyway, I got up early, 5am this morning, to have a couple before work, and, lo and behold, as god is my witness, standing on the graves of our ancestors, two eggs -- two dubbleyokas!

Life is good! There is hope -- Obama can win -- a new day is dawning -- the icecaps are coming back -- peace is possible -- George Bush is history -- and I saw all that in a Circulon 9 incher right here on my stove top in little old Worcester, Mass.

And thanks for listening to me.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Obama?! And here I had you pegged as a man of keen intellect and refined taste... my image is RUINED!
But I am glad your eggs made you smile!

Anonymous said...

That is my friend's comment, not mine. I don't divulge my loyalties on this blog.

Anonymous said...

Great post! I haven't had a dubbleyoka in quite a while. Life's simple pleasures really are the best, aren't they?

Anonymous said...

I wasn't familiar with 'dubbleyokas' before this post, and when I did a google search to find out more, all 4 links listed were related to your post! How funny!

Anonymous said...

Clearly a widespread term . . .

Anonymous said...

Not you? Good. My heart sank when I saw the Obama ref, too.

Anonymous said...

Although I have never had one myself, my MIL loves them. She grew up on them down here in South Carolina.

Anonymous said...

We happened upon this blog and were impressed by your approach.

Anonymous said...

I have only dreamed about doubleyokkas (and so has my Dad) and we've never actually had one. Guess where I'm going on Saturday! Thank you thank you thank you for such a wonderful post. A glorious story, a wonderful friend.
You are a lucky man!