Sunday, August 24, 2008

Thinking of Bruce

An excerpt from a note from Bruce's wife, shortly after he passed away. It is printed with her permission. He was a very fine person whom I had a chance to get to know after I arrived at this job. I am personally gratified that we offer an environment that made possible the quality of human interaction that Wendy summarizes.

Everyone involved with his care at BIDMC was wonderful, from the volunteers and clinicians at the chemo clinic, to the MICU, to the oncology floor. With so much intelligence and compassion, they were all archetypal BIDMC folks. But I must put in a special word for Dr. Rebecca Miksad, who oversaw his chemo treatment at Shapiro (outpatient clinic), and then followed all the way through with us to the MICU and oncology. She was magnificent. I watched this young doctor sit on my husband's bed in the MICU and deliver to him what was undoubtedly the worst news of his life.

It was a meeting that I dreaded, and one that I tried with all my might to soften for him. But it was Dr. Miksad who was the key to it all, who made it bearable, if you can imagine. She explained his dreadful prognosis with such compassion and intelligence that I could hardly believe what I was witnessing. It was amazing. I don't know how she did it, but she did, and in such a way that it respected my husband -- his intelligence and his feelings -- as much as was humanly possible. I shall never forget her for the way she dealt with us. She is going to have an amazing career. I am so grateful that she was with us.

Very best, Wendy

No comments: