Wednesday, July 14, 2010

All-star softball in the park


The Friends of the Public Garden celebrated its 40th anniversary last night (i.e., Tuesday) with an "all star" game of its own in the Boston Common. This was a fund-raising softball game with representatives -- several of the over-the-hill variety -- from local corporations and some elected officials as well. Parks Commissioner Antonia Pollak and Friends President Henry Lee managed the teams.

Regular readers know that soccer, not football, is my game. I'm just not used to using my hands. Nonetheless, I subbed in as the pitcher for the blue team at the top of the third inning, confident of holding our 5-3 lead. By the end of the inning, we were behind 12-5. I issued the following statement to my teammates in this morning's follow-up email:

I hereby issue an apology for my playing: The good news, speaking as the pitcher, was that several of the runs scored during my pitching stint were unearned. The bad news was that at least three of them were attributable to my own fielding errors! (Two or three others were earned, but only because the shortstop couldn't bend down fast enough to nab some ground balls.)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was a great evening. Looking forward to playing again....if they'll have me! I believe I was involved in a few of those errors.

Maureen

e-Patient Dave said...

So much for the people who say you're nothin' but a slick pitch man... hahaha!

Anonymous said...

You did a great job on the mound, the defense let us down. Most importantly, we raised some money for a great cause and had a whole lot of fun doing it.

e-Patient Dave said...

Great job on the mound? Yeah, sounds like he did a fine job of keeping the ball out of his hands, whether he was throwing it or it was coming to him...

Hahahhaha... I crack myself up..:–)

Anonymous said...

Um, sounds like Dave should be out there pitching next year, how 'bout it, buddy?! (:

e-Patient Dave said...

Trust me, some people *belong* in the beaches.

ACTUALLY, at today's meeting of the Mass. eHealth Collaborative, chitchat revealed that when I was a kid, I was the baseball team's.... statistician.

Hard to believe, huh? Kept the box scores, computed the batting averages (in my head), all that stuff.

That would still be my ideal job. That, or biking to the store for some brewskis...

e-Patient Dave said...

Even better, I meant "bleachers" not "beaches."

Anonymous said...

Dave;

Statistician is what I would expect for an MIT alum. At least Paul can play..... ((: