Monday, July 12, 2010

Brava, Maureen!

I was out of town when President Obama made his recess appointment of Don Berwick to head CMS, and when the Institute for Healthcare Improvement announced that Maureen Bisognano would take over as CEO. This article from the Wall Street Journal gives more background about Maureen's qualifications and intentions.

Regular readers have often seen Maureen's name on this blog. Her suggestions, for example, have made a huge difference in the way we have made our ICUs more patient- and family-centered.

I think Don would readily admit that she has been the not-so-secret ingredient that has led to IHI's success. I can't think of a more worthy person to take charge of this important organization. Congratulations!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even a nonlocal can tell this is a great choice. Not only does the ICU post remind us, but there is also now a built-in synchrony with governmental goals which hopefully will enhance the effectiveness of sorely needed change implementation.
And keep expanding those Open School courses!

nonlocal MD

Alice Lee said...

Congratulations, Maureen!

Anonymous said...

From Facebook:

Yeah Maureen!!!!!!!!!!!! I still refer to an article you gave me in 1989 when I think about health care - in fact when I think a about a lot of things. The Paradigm Shift by Jeff Goldsmith, it changed some fundamental approaches at Medicaid (at the time) and still impresses me today.

Maureen Pompeo