Wednesday, November 03, 2010

We are aware of the beauty of life

From the ridiculous below to the sublime, please watch this incredible video about Alice Herz-Sommer, a 107-year old Holocaust survivor/musician. I hope you are able to watch it all the way through and see the context for these very moving final comments:

I never hate. Hatred brings only hatred.

I was born with a very, very good optimism. And it helps you when you are optimistic, when you are not complaining. When you look at the good side of our life, everybody loves you.


Only when we are so old -- only -- we are aware of the beauty of life.


If you cannot see the video, click here.

12 comments:

Cherly said...

From Facebook:

Good message. Living a life without hatred.....and with optimism. She is a very strong woman. Optimism is contagious. You can actually control/create your perception of the world. It can be full of beauty even under the most horrifying circumstances. If you allow those who have lost their humanity, compassion and empathy or who are completely insane to change your perception of goodness and beauty, you have lost your power. I don't think this woman could let that happen.

Karen said...

From Facebook:

Thank you for sharing this wonderful story of hope, optimism and music. May we all find such light in life.

Margit said...

From Facebook:

I did and it was well worth it! Inspiring.

Jordana said...

From Facebook:

I just watched this a few days ago... Very inspiring.

Ana said...

From Facebook:

...inspiring...♥

Anonymous said...

What a lady, and what advice to respect.

Karen said...

From Facebook:

Thank you for sharing this wonderful story of hope, optimism and music. May we all find such light in life.

Jane Sherwin said...

How very beautiful, and a time to stop and remember what is important. Thank you Paul.

Sheila said...

Paul,
What a wonderful story about Alice. You are a gem for sharing it with all of us that subscribe to your newsletter. I too think only in positive terms. The negative side of life will always be there however I don't go there. I'd give anything to be at Alice's party. My best wishes to her. Only goes to prove that positive attitude sustains us.

Anonymous said...

As a child of a survivor music is a constant in my life. Every time I walk the halls of the medical center and hear the harpist's soulful strings I feel comfort and peace. Thank you for sharing this story.

Anonymous said...

Anon,

Thank you for this and your private note, too.

nana said...

I was interested in seeing this but when I click to play, I get "this video has been removed by the user"