Sunday, May 10, 2009

The joys of coaching soccer

I currently coach a group of 11- and 12-year old girls. At practice this weekend, I introduced the concept of thinking about what you plan to do with the ball before it arrives at your feet. It is difficult, in neurological terms, to make that decision once the ball has already arrived, so the idea is to think ahead.

Shortly after this, Margaret one-touched a ball into no-man's land, nowhere near any of her teammates. I said, "You weren't thinking in advance." She replied, "Yes, I was thinking. I just hadn't reached a conclusion."

3 comments:

debra said...

Such is the pre-teen brain. Planning and thinking things through is a thing for the future..... Great story!

Istvan said...

Paul,

Your concept is absolutely right. The same applies when you start dribbling the ball. You already have to know what moves and tricks you will use in the next few seconds when facing the defender.

Regarding your player, maybe she has unconsciously used an other key concept, the "Pass to Space", which may be neurologically more difficult, especially if it was a "through pass", as it requires anticipation from the receiver and provides the basic element for team work. She is a very promising player as this came from her heart.

Tim Rosa said...

Paul,

Great to see you're still coaching. The story from your young player is priceless. I'll see if I can use her line in my over 40 team.

Tim