Tuesday, December 22, 2009

This Old House in Roxbury

Easing into the holiday week, a change in topics from health care. One of my favorite shows on television is This Old House, and in that I am joined by lots of people who have watched the show for 30 years.

My administrative assistant somehow wrangled a way for my wife, my brother-in-law, and me to visit the current TOH site in Roxbury, a neighborhood of Boston. We were hosted by VP for TV Operations Michael Burton and welcomed by developer David Lopes. Seen here flanking the family members are Senior Series Producer Deb Hood and director David Vos. The renowned Norm Abrams is in the middle.

We had a chance to see the filming of a short segment regarding the installation of a mantle and an old-style cast iron front piece that would be used for a coal-burning fireplace (in this case an ornamental one only). I prepared this short video to give you a sense of the logistics involved in what will be just a short segment. I am sure this doesn't compare to the camera work of TOH cameraman Dino D'Onofrio! You can compare this to the final production when the show is aired in late January.

If you cannot see the video, please click here.

1 comment:

mdspencer said...

I'm jealous! This is one show everybody would love to see the back house of. Where did you find such a wonderful assistant?!?!