Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Now for something really important

A Facebook message I received at 9:10 am yesterday. I like how it shows that everyone is involved in improving the patient experience. Notice the quick turn-around on this issue of superb local importance.

Good morning Paul. I work 3rd shift maintenance and the other day I was in a patient's room and they started complaining that we don't have NESN anymore. I don't know if this is true or not but I would think being the official Red Sox hospital we would carry the channel that the Red Sox are on. Well, if you could look into that it would be great. I'm sure it is hard enough for the patients to have to be away from the family due to sickness but it makes it worse when they can't watch their beloved Red Sox. Thanks again.

My reply at 9:39 am:

We do have it. I think it is ch. 26, but I will check.


And the response from our media services director before 10:00 am:

Yes, we have NESN. It is currently on Channel 25. When we finish reprogramming TVs -- hopefully by the end of the week-- it will move to Channel 31.

On a more serious note to managers out there, please note the validation of Facebook as an internal corporate communications tool. Many people of a certain generation prefer it to regular email.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll just leave my third comment about the first department you really need to work on is billing.

Anonymous said...

I never met a hospital that didn't need to work on billing, seriously!
It's weird how such an important dept works so poorly in hospitals.
On another note, how come the patient couldn't find NESN if you had it? That's the real patient satisfaction question......

Anonymous said...

Paul, I'm impressed that you care what's shown on the TVs in patient rooms.

Anonymous said...

Pretty interesting. I suppose it is out there but I had never heard of Facebook used as a corporate communication line.

Facebook looks to be having their troubles. I think last quarter was their first quarter of non-user growth since they opened up shop. And they obviously haven't turned a profit yet.

The point is, I'm wondering how if there are better ways they could harvest this kind've internal business use of Facebook.

e-Patient Dave said...

A catch-up comment days later ...

Diana,

> Paul, I'm impressed that you care
> what's shown on the TVs in
> patient rooms.

1. All that takes is to care about things at the patient level.

2. But there's more to this CEO than that. When I was in, last year, guess who was job-shadowing the food workers and delivered my dinner, in a hair net?