Friday, September 11, 2009

A Reason to Ride

There is nothing like spending a fall morning on the North Shore bike riding along a beautiful rural route. And there is nothing like doing so while helping to raise money for cancer research.

Please join cancer survivor Tom DesFosses, his family, and lots of us for A Reason To Ride, a 10-, 20-, or 50-mile ride starting in Danvers, MA, on Sunday, September 13.

Tom says, "For me, this ride will be very emotional, but in another way it will give me incredible joy. It will give me time to reflect on how blessed I am to be a cancer survivor, and to think of others who are not able to join me on this quest. I hope other cyclists will join me on this ride to help raise greatly needed funds for life-saving cancer research."

Tom wanted this to be a very inexpensive fund-raiser to encourage many people to join in. It is just $50 per adult and $25 for a child, or $100 for a whole family. Get the full story here.

1 comment:

e-Patient Dave said...

I'm in! I'm in! I'm riding!

This must be one of the most remarkable personal transformations in the history of humanity. Well, okay, it's not like St. Augustine, but still. Me, doing something genuinely ATHLETIC??

Well, in June I said to my wife "I want to start bike riding." (Uh-huh.) "I want to find a yard sale bike, for $50." We didn't go hunting but later that day we passed a neighbor's yard sale, and yoho, a $45 bike.

A classic (1970s) Raleigh, it turns out, in great shape. My bike technician says he'll buy it when I'm ready to move up.

I've taken to it like a duck to water, and this past Sundy for the first time EVER, I rode 30 miles, back and forth on the Nashua River Rail Trail between Nashua and Ayer MA.

Then I went home and accepted the invitation from Dr. Megan Anderson, my incredible orthopedist, about whom I've written before: I'll be on her team for this event.

IGNORE PAUL: SPONSOR ME! Click here.